Wednesday, November 28, 2012

People with Disabilities

People with Disabilities



I was recently asked what my background of working with people with disabilities.  I had an answer and shared various experiences.  Upon further reflection, though, I better understand my philosophy of "working with people with disabilities".


  1. People are people.
  2. People want connection to others.
  3. Everyone has varying degrees of abilities and disabilities.  Some of the disabilities are federally recognized as needing special accommodations and some are ones that we have to figure out on our own.

If I take time to truly connect with another, I can learn to understand the other person.  I can learn how the other person accommodates their own disabilities.  I can share my own special needs. I can make a connection with another.  I can be a person.  I can be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Becoming Ancestors our Descendants will be Proud of

  4/2/22 Response to 2022 Academy Awards events Everyone has an opinion. Everyone has an opinion about the events that transpired at the 202...